What’s New With the 2022 Mazda CX-5?
With its perfectly sculpted appearance and sophisticated interior, the 2022 Mazda CX-5 sets an unbeatable standard for compact SUVs. There were several interesting changes that Mazda has made to the 2022 model. Mazda’s i-ACTIV AWD, which is now standard on all CX-5 models, provides a refined and invigorating ride. Let’s take a closer look at the CX-5’s other notable features.
2022 Mazda CX-5: What’s New?
All-wheel drive is now standard across the board. A new drive-mode switch is available, and the seat design was changed. Mazda announced that improved chassis rigidity and suspension adjustments will reduce vibrations and road noise. Finally, some refinements to the automatic gearbox were made, giving the SUV more acceleration at lower speeds.
The Mazda CX-5 2.5 Turbo Signature takes its sleek external appearance to new heights, drawing influence from the Japanese Kodo design philosophy. With a new three-dimensional mesh texture and wings that extend outwards toward the redesigned LED headlights, the grille becomes even more striking.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Trim Levels
For 2022, the Mazda CX-5 comes in eight trim levels: 2.5 S, 2.5 S Select, 2.5 S Preferred, 2.5 S Carbon Edition, 2.5 S Premium, 2.5 S Premium Plus, 2.5 Turbo, and 2.5 Signature. The starting model, CX-5 2.5 S, rides on 17-inch wheels in all-wheel drive and comes with a 10.15-inch infotainment screen with blind-spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control. From there:
- The 2.5 S Select adds keyless entry, rear-vent dual-zone climate control, leatherette upholstery, heated front seats, and a six-speaker audio system.
- The 2.5 S Preferred adds everything from the 2.5 S Select, plus two-zone climate control and advanced keyless entry with a walk-away lock.
- The 2.5 S Carbon Edition adds everything from the 2.5 S Preferred but carries a unique Polymetal Gray color tone, along with 19-inch black alloy wheels, black honeycomb interior trim with red leather seating, red stitched leather on the shifter and steering wheel, and available full-red leather upholstery.
- The 2.5 S Premium also adds everything from the 2.5 S Preferred but with leather seating, plus adaptive front lights, SiriusXM, paddle shifters, and 19-inch alloy wheels.
- The 2.5 S Premium Plus adds everything from the 2.5 S Premium and a few welcome bonuses: automatic power-folding side mirrors, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, a windshield wiper de-icer, and a head-up display.
- The 2.5 Turbo, renamed from Grand Touring Reserve, adds everything from the 2.5 Premium Plus, along with an exclusive 2.5-liter turbo engine, a gloss-black front grille, and black body features like the black roof spoiler and wheel arches.
- The 2.5 Turbo Signature adds everything from the 2.5 Turbo, plus traffic sign recognition, front and rear parking sensors, onboard navigation with live traffic info, genuine wood trim, and Caturra Brown Nappa leather seating. The 2022 CX-5 Turbo Signature also now gets body-color cladding over the prior year’s dark trim.
2022 CX-5 Interior and Comfort
The Mazda CX-5 for 2022 is a new crossover SUV with a spacious interior, 30 cubic feet of storage space, and a suite of intuitive technology. The all-new Mazda CX-5 comes with a number of standard features, including heated front seats and power-adjustable front seats with lumbar support.
The Mazda CX-5 offers a variety of premium materials and seating surfaces, from leatherette with Lux Suede inserts to authentic Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seating. Red accents and stitching have been added to the new Turbo trim.
The load capacity of the Mazda CX-5 is 30 cubic feet behind the back seat and 59.3 cubic feet when the back seat is folded. The Grand Touring includes a motorized sunroof, so you and your passengers can drive in the fresh air any time. A dual-zone temperature control system and heated front seats are included from the outset, and the S Premium Plus has both heated front and rear seats.
2022 CX-5 Infotainment and Technology
Just like every other aspect of the vehicle, the CX-5’s infotainment system is well put together and sports an array of features. All the trims come with a 10.3-inch touchscreen display equipped with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth connectivity.
Other standard features include the Mazda Connected Services interface, a Wi-Fi Hotspot, a six-speaker sound system, HD Radio, and two USB ports. Optional features include a 7-inch digital instrument cluster, navigation, satellite radio, a 10-speaker Bose premium sound system, two USB ports in the rear, ambient interior lighting, and a moonroof, to name a few.
2022 CX-5 Safety Features
The Mazda CX-5 has a number of modern safety technologies, including Traffic Jam Assist. This enhanced active safety function uses Radar Cruise Control to provide low-speed steering assistance at speeds up to 40 miles per hour. The i-ACTIVESENSE package for 2022 contains smart brake support, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, automated emergency braking, and more.
Beginning with the Premium Plus, a head-up display is standard. Traffic sign recognition, a driver alertness monitor, front and rear parking sensors, surround-view cameras, and rear automated emergency braking are just a few of the extra amenities available on the Turbo Signature.
2022 CX-5 Engine and Performance
The 2022 Mazda CX-5 comes standard with a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine that produces 187 horsepower and 186 lb-ft. of torque and sends power to all four wheels via the i-ACTIV all-wheel-drive system. The CX-5 S, Select, Preferred, Carbon Edition, Premium, and Premium Plus trims all come standard with this powertrain option. A turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with 227 horsepower and 310 lb-ft. of torque powers the Turbo models. However, if you fill it up with 93 octane gas, you’ll get 256 horsepower and 320 lb-ft. of torque. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard on both engines.
The CX-5 has two fuel-economy ratings. The standard 2.5-liter engine gets 24 miles per gallon in the city and 30 miles per gallon on the interstate. The turbocharged engine is rated at up to 22 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.
Test Drive a 2022 Mazda CX-5 at Mazda of Orange Today
If you’re seeking a new SUV that meets all of your needs, the 2022 Mazda CX-5 definitely has a trim level for you. Feel free to browse our certified pre-owned Mazda inventory to save even more on recent Mazda SUVs. Or if you know the CX-5 is the car for you, come on in for a test drive and to start the purchase process!